TRIP REPORT 2 months in the NT & WA deserts and a still sodden Kimberly

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 19:01
ThreadID: 35366 Views:5274 Replies:17 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Here is a rather vague trip report for anyone who might be interested .( I apologise now for all the spelling mistakes and do not wish to be told about them. )

I left Sydney on April 20 and met Willem at Peterborough the next day- he gave me a great tour of those beautiful stone cottages of the town . We left the following day and travelled up the Oodnadatta Track after picking up one more car and Willem's passenger . An uneventful trip to Alice , although one day was a long one , with 600 klm on the dirt .In Alice we met our last touring companions to bring us up to four cars - a good number for a trip like this . Three Exploroz Members and one Exploroz Lurker .

We left Alice and went out past Hermansberg on the Mereenie Loop where we turned off West onto a side track clearly marked "Keep Out " etc - but Willem had obtained permission for our trip from the Land Council , so we were legit . Beautiful scenery on the trip west to the Cleland Hills . Huge red escarpments and superb stands of desert oaks - it is hard to think of this as a desert as it is so green , but when you try to find water you understand why it is classified as such .

We reached the Cleland Hills on the second day - Mount Winter was the highest point on this huge red escarpment .We had some trouble finding a track into the Muranji Waterhole where we intended to camp .We went exploring and found many signs of aboriginal occupation - grinder grooves in the sandstone of the rock shelters and a bit of fairly basic rock art . Also around the plains there were various bits of broken seed grinding plates etc .

The Muranji rockhole is actually two rockholes - one is a large basin of water surrounded by rock walls on three sides and issuing out into a creek bed . One of these walls has been carved out to make a large 12 metre long rock shelter which has many grooves in the sandstone , as though wooden spears had been sharpened there over thousands of years .

The other rockhole is totally different and only a hundred metres away. To get to it you must climb up from the valley floor to a rock ledge where you see a small rock pool , then climb another ledge to see a larger rockpool and then look through a narrow cleft in the rocks to find yet another deeper rockpool . I thought this would have been a wonderful place for Ernest Giles to have found , but he was not so lucky . He finally found water to the North East at two spots which he named "Glen Edith" and the "Vale of Tempe".

There are a number of rockholes in the Clelands which we wanted to visit . One was Thomas Reservoir ( approx 18 klm WNW of Muranji ( - I think !) , the second was on Gill Creek ( we found one of them , but not the main one ) and to the South West and there was "the dream waterhole" for which we searched for two days without success , destroying quite a few tyres on stakes in the process . In the end we used up so much time trying to find it , we left ourselves no time to get to Thomas Reservoir where there were some rock engravings I wanted to photograph which were similar to those I had photographed in the Carnarvon and Calvert Ranges and Mungkulu Hills .

We all had deadlines - Willem in the Simpson and I had to get to Broome to meet my wife for a weeks R&R . So , after five days we reluctantly upped anchor and drove back to Alice .

After reprovisioning we set off up the Tanami for an uneventful trip tp Broome . After a week there I met up with Godfrey and his wife Judy from Perth . Godfrey is a long time LURKER on this site and we had met on a Murchison Safaris Pilbarra trip last year . Off we went up into the Kimberley , optimistically thinking that the Gibb River Rd might be open all the way "very soon ". That did not happen , but for me , on my first trip to the Kimberley , it was no problem as all the gorges we went to ( Windjana , Bell , Adcock , Sir John and the stunner on Mt Elizabeth Station ) had heaps of water pumping through them and most had big beautiful waterfalls .

The big let down for me in the Kimberley was the virtual lockout of aboriginal art sites . One of my main reasons for going up there was to see the art , but I was discouraged by all and sundry from doing this . Since the aboriginals won a land rites claim of the Kimberley , the art sites are being kept " secret ". Ask a Nat. Parks / Calm ranger type person at Windjana or Bell Gorge where you can see some art and they just look at you and say they " I know nussing "- absolute crap of course , but they have been told to deny knowledge of it . Mount Elizabeth Station used to conduct tours of art sites by paid local aboriginals , but now have been told they cannot continue to do this . So the western Australian Tourist Bureau should be taken to the cleaners for showing aboriginal art in their promos .

We went to Mornington Wilderness Camp after Mt Elizabeth , as the Road was still closed through to Drysdale River .This was a pleasant spot and had two nice gorges to check out and nice showers etc and a great restaurant and bar .
I must say though , that there was less wildlife in their much touted sanctuary than there was at Mt Elizabeth Station ( where all the station dogs have been trained not to chase the wallabies that wander around the place ) .

Then we set off for Meekatharra to meet Alick Edwards and his partner Willi who run Murchison Safaris - for a Gibson Desert tagalong . The plan for this was
Willuna , Gunbarrel to Carnegie , then Eagle Highway up to the Warri and Yatunga site . From here we would go west to the Mungkulu Hills , then North via Constance Headland and the Calvert Ranges , Durba Hills then North again .

At Karrarinarri Claypan we left all wheel tracks behind us for the first 50 klm because we were going to look for some things Alick had seen on a previous trip into the Gibson. In the first few days there was some tough sandhills and many staked sidewall punctures . I think in three days we totalled fourteen punctures - all but one in the sidewalls . It was impossible to see some of the fire hardened grevillea stakes in the spinifex which still had the metre long seed stalks on it and we had regular puntures . To minimise this , Alick's car was used as a sacrificial lamb and we followed exactly in his wheel tracks - exactly as is possible for an IFS TD Landcruiser to put both wheels on the track of a Troopy , but that was the idea , and it certainly worked . Alick in the lead had most of the punctures , but with all of us helping , we had them repaired pretty quickly . For the first couple of days of the trip we headed roughly towards Mt Madley , then WNW towards the Mungkulu Range . It was beautiful , wild country with high parallel sand dunes always on two sides of us as we moved along the corridors between them .We avoided crossing as many dunes as possible , but often there was no other way . They were very soft and difficult to get over first go - not nice and compacted like they are on the CSR .

The Calvert Ranges are my favourite place on this earth and we stayed there for four nights . I had been itching to get back there since my first visit two years ago .The aboriginal art in the many gorges is sensational - both the 20,000 year old ( plus ) engravings and the more recent aboriginal paintings and peckings .
While there , we met Ozexplorer Member Wayne who was in charge of a Great Divide Tours Tagalong Group doing the CSR .

The Martu ( a collective name for the aborinal tribes that used to live in the area ) have been successful on a land claim on the CSR and the surrounding areas and they are already starting to ask people to get permits and demanding money to go in there . Talking to a 4WD journo at Durba Springs I was told that their tagalong was not going to the Calverts because the Martu demanded $5000 from them as an entry fee . But the Martu are still disorganised and some tour groups and individuals had requested entry permission only to be told that it was "too much trouble this year " and they would get organised and do it in 2007 . SO GET TO THE CALVERTS WHILE YOU STILL CAN !

We stayed in Durba Springs for three nights and spent a lot of time admiring and photographing the art in Killagurra Gorge . We all had lots of washing to do . One morning I put my pants on with a bull ant in them . It bit me right on the bum and I did not have time to see who was watching before I ripped off my duds to find the culprit . Not a pretty sight for the amused onlookers ! From Durba Springs it was North and then a hot foot back to Sydney to avoid a pending divorce on the grounds of desertion .

In summary , I did 15,400 klm , ruined 5 tyres with staked sidewalls which were OK to use offroad , but not so hot for highway use ( but no tread punctures ) . I had no mechanical or electrical failures at all on the Landcruiser TD 100 . I was bogged in mud twice - once I was snatched out and the second time it took two shovels , my 9000 lb winch and a snatch block to get me out . I used narrower 6.5 inch wide rims which I ordered specially from Toyota Japan with Bridgestone V steel tyres . I carried 75 litres of water , 270 litres of diesel and enough food for three weeks , enough coke to have two cans a day and enough red wine to have half a bottle every night . I ran a 73 litre Autofridge as a fridge and a 60 litre Wayco as a freezer .

This is all a bit vague but it was an eight week trip and it would have taken pages to give you detail . I am sure I have made a few spelling errors and other mistakes , so I apologise again for that .

Nice to be back home after seven weeks in a swag , but it was a great trip .

Willie .

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 19:10

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 19:10
Willie,

Read every word feeling extremely envious. Great trip report...makes me want to get up and go right away!!

Viv
AnswerID: 180871

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 19:14

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 19:14
Good stuff Willie, I'm damn jealous :)))
AnswerID: 180873

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:53

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:53
Hi Brother ,
How has my only blood kin been making out in my absence ?
Willie .
FollowupID: 437377

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 17:17

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 17:17
hahahaha while you've been swanning around the countryside I've been hard at work upsetting our fellow Forumites with my inane chatter LOL

I've been waiting for you 'field officers' to get back on the Forum so that we can get a better balance between the serious and the not so serious discussions :)))))) There's been way too much serious stuff lately.
FollowupID: 437389

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 19:29

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 19:29
You Bastard,

I'm insanely jealous,

Ian
AnswerID: 180876

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:55

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:55
If I'm a bastard , then so is Gramps . We're twins you know .
Willie
FollowupID: 437378

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 17:14

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 17:14
LOL I resemble that remark :)))
FollowupID: 437387

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 19:44

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 19:44
Thanks for posting the report, Willie. Seems like just the other day you said you were leaving. Sounds llike you had an excellent time and I'm envious too.
AnswerID: 180881

Reply By: mattie - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 19:56

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 19:56
Hi Willie
sounds like a great trip i am looking on with interest about the csr as i am very keen to go next june if i can get a group organised and if they aren't going to make it to hard(and expensive) for people to travel the track.

mattie
AnswerID: 180885

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 17:02

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 17:02
Mattie ,

I would just plan on going and dont worry to much about the Martu problem . They probably will not get their act together fo another year anyway at the rate they are going .

Even if they do , they will never go up there anyway . They dont go up there now now , so why would they then .

There is nowhere to buy takeaway food in the Calverts , so how would they survive ? Maybe the government will spend $ 10 million on a new sttlement for them so they can trash it and leave it to rot like six others I have seen in WA .

Willie .
FollowupID: 437382

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:01

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:01
Glad everything worked out well Willie. Great trip by the sound of it. PITA about denying entry to all those areas though. Look forward to all the banter.
Cheers
Des
AnswerID: 180887

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:09

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:09
Thanks Willie - interesting reading.
AnswerID: 180890

Reply By: Member - Geoff T (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:17

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:17
stuff you Willie extremely envious i am home with a busted knee going nowhere except the 5k drive to the Docs each week big deal
AnswerID: 180891

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:26

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:26
Nice reading Willie. I was wondering where you were. Thanks for the report
AnswerID: 180894

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:40
goodday willie
a very intesting read and obviously a good trip
re the pending divorce you mustnot have spent enough on pearls in broome lololol

steve
AnswerID: 180901

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:51

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:51
Steve ,
I was lucky , she does not like pearls . I will never make the mistake of going for a holiday at Lake Argyle though !
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 437375

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:57

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 20:57
Also very envious but happy you had a good time. No doubt wiser for the experience.
How's the rat race after those isolated km's.

Regards, Trevor.
AnswerID: 180908

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:35

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:35
Trevor ,

I also enjoy the rat race , so it was great to be home again .

Nothing like your own dunny seat seat either !

Willie
FollowupID: 437363

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:12

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:12
Excellent stuff.

I imagine that the planning & research that went into this trip were handsomely rewarded.
It may be that the experinces you had & the notable locations you visited may be denied to us in years to come. That's why your records are such a treasure.

Congrats on having both the vision & the skills to "do" it all.

Cheers
AnswerID: 180912

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:14

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:14
Great trip report, even thgough I am still wondering how you managed to pack all that in the truck, a lot of it must have been on a rack.
I was wondering if you and Wayne would cross paths.
Bull ant indeed ! I rekkon you were just causing public alarm for a stir :))
I'm envious of course. Especially the Calvert Ranges, as I wont get there on this trip.
AnswerID: 180913

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 22:25

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 22:25
Good reading Willie. Am pretty envious you could spare the time I can't yet. You covered a bit of territory there and I hope you will look to the National at Warraweena next July so we can meet up with you there.

I guess now you can get back into the market too, now you are home.
AnswerID: 180939

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:38

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:38
John ,

It is amazing how quickly you can loose touch with the market . It will take a few weeks of watching and reading before I jump back in - and even then , I think it will only be a small jump .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 437365

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 18:42

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 18:42
Well I don't know if we should jump or which way either. Have a few stocks at the moment. Some I wish we had bought more of last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and..........

I am certainly not in a position to tell you anything. LOL
FollowupID: 437418

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 07:49

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 07:49
Hello Secret Squirrel,
I was only thinking yesterday about how your adventure was progressing, now I know!
Great to hear you enjoyed yourself.

Must be downright challenging to get your duds off with the undies on the outside!
Thoroughly enjoyed the report,

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 180971

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:41

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 16:41
Wearing the undies on the outside is an advantage - not necessary to change them everyday . A boon in the desert where water is scarce .
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 437370

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 08:02

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 08:02
Great report and sounds like you had a great trip. Glad to see you back in one piece.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 180975

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 08:04

Thursday, Jun 29, 2006 at 08:04
Thanks for the report Willie,

Thought it had beena bit quiet without you.

Good trip and pity you didn't have more time.
Saying that is always a sign of a good trip.

So when do you start planning the next one?
AnswerID: 180976

Sponsored Links